Saturday, June 3, 2017

Leica M8 / M9 in 2017 ??

Leica M8/M9 in 2017 is not suggestible. Its not only a risky proposition given the sensor rot issue, but also a huge economic liability.  Leica recently acknowledged and taken responsibility for the 'rot' in their CCD sensors. Particularly the ones in M9. M8 has a lot of issues and given the high price, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I feel the M8 was a experiment, a beta version of the M9. They were testing waters with the M8 to put it plainly. Man I love Leicas too, but its hard to justify the price given my meager lifestyle. 

Though the sensor rot has been only acknowledged in the M9, I am sure some problems could arise for M8 sensor too as it is also a CCD.

Here are some useful links:

https://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2014/Important-Information-Concerning-the-CCD-Sensors

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/06/leica-announces-permanent-fix-for-ccd-sensor-corrosion-on-m9m9-pmmm-e-models/



http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141059

As a consolation Leica has not only acknowledged the "rot" issue, but also promised to completely replace the sensors free of charge irrespective of warranties which is a very welcome gesture. But the question is why do these cameras costing thoudands of dollars have issues in the first place?? I have to admit my faith in Leica has been shaken a bit. I am not a Leica hater, on the contrary. How long till some one finds an issue with an M240 or an M10 ?? I am starting to think I am better off without Leica, may be I will be happy with a Nikon D7100 or a D610 or may be even a D3400 (not the D3300 as it has a shuter shock issue under 1/250th) or a D5300, but that blurry esoteric light from the bokeh of a 50 f2 lens from a Leica camera keeps calling me like a siren from under the water. I try to resist.  Ironically my not so millionaire economic condition regulates my funkiness. 

If your primary aim to to get the "leica look" I suggest you forget the M8 as its too much of a hassle. I love CCD sensors and still hold on to my D200 with my dear life. The D200, D80, D60, D40x all have great 10 megapixel CCD sensors (made by Sony) with excellent true to life color and depth. A nice voigtlander or zeiss or nikkor prime would help you with that "leica man" image (if you want that). 

The best part is they are all extremely cheap and can be had for peanuts. Break it ?? no problem, you can get a new one. Stolen? no worries, order a new one on ebay. Image quality wise the M8 doesnt have any particular advantages over the above listed cameras. With a clever use of some cheap flash like a vivitar or yongnuo I am absolutely sure you will get some great images. I cant justify the price of a Leica even if I am a millionaire. Save the money and put it to some other good use. I know you wont like my advice, but trust me, I have been there where you are right now. 

Cheers and happy clicking. 

Cheers :cool:

0 comments:

Post a Comment