Monday, March 26, 2012

Photowalk # 79 - Bhoodan Pochampally (Rural Photography)

On the night of the 16th of March, I was very excited to be preparing for the Photowalk the next day. I hardly slept in the night. I was up by 3:30am and hardly slept two hours, packed my gear and started on my bike at 4:50 am and was there at the designated Uppal Crossroad by 6:07am, I called up my HWS fellows and after meeting at the designated place we all stared. Instead of taking the highway, we went via so many villages and stopping wherever we fancied. I went in Abby's car. Consumed some toddy on the way, which was absolutely amazing.  Though we had return earlier than everyone else, all in all it was a great photowalk. 

Pochampally is basically a village of weavers, existing since probably more than a thousand years. Padmashalis are the predominant caste in the village. Unfortunately due to the urban craze for readymade western clothes, the popularity and demand for Pochampally sarees and fabrics which once adorned queens and royals is now on the wane. Government provisions aren't helping the situation and most of the weavers live below poverty line. Below you can see a gloomy weaver, weaving his magic. Lets hope that he and his ilk will find the light at the end of the tunnel and shine at the end of their weave.     






 Photos by Viisshnu Vardhan. © Viisshnu Vardhan. All rights reserved.





0 comments:

Post a Comment